Monday, June 4, 2012

Review: Temptation by Karen Ann Hopkins

Synopsis:
Your heart misleads you. That's what my friends and family say. But I love Noah. And he loves me. We met and fell in love in the sleepy farming community of Meadowview, while we rode our horses together through the grassy fields and in those moments in each other's arms. It should be ROSE & NOAH forever, easy. But it won't be. Because he's Amish. And I'm not.

Publication Date: June 26, 2012
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance, Realistic Fiction
Source: Thanks so much to Harlequin Teen for making this title available through Netgalley!

Review:
Temptation has a really cool and unique forbidden romance going on in it. Rose and Noah definitely should not be together, but they find it impossible to stay apart.

I had a mixed bag of feelings about this novel. From the beginning I was pretty sure I knew how things would turn out between these two young characters, but I was actually kept guessing the entire time. They can't be together...maybe they can! Nope, no way. It could never work out, Buuuut...(yes, I did this the entire time I was reading :) My need to find out how things would play out kept me reading and I got through this one really fast. I shouldn't forget to mention that the characterization is really well done even though I wasn't totally sold on the romantic element.

As much as I was interested in how Rose and Noah's love would be resolved, their relationship was lacking in intensity to me. I never quite got how they fell so madly in love apart from just a physical attraction that was mistaken for something more...the story of teenagers' lives really. Sometimes I'd be rooting for things to work out for them, and then other times I was pretty sure it was the worst possible idea.

Although the romance was missing a spark for me, the plot does a good job of keeping you drawn in, not wanting to miss what will happen. And although you *kind of* find out what happens between these two young lovers, this is the first book in a series and the reader is left on a smallish cliffhanger :) Since I still feel a great need to see what goes down I'll be keeping an eye out for Temptation's sequel.

1 comment:

Vegan YA Nerds said...

Hee, I loved the internal convo you were having about whether or not they would be together in the end, I am sure I will be doing the same thing when I read this!