Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Quick Tips to Help You Survive a Zombie Outbreak. A Guest Post by Jim Beck

I'm happy to have the author of Patient Zero, Jim Beck, guesty posting today! Patient Zero is a zombie outbreak book told from the point of view of the zombie virus. Who better to give a few survival tips than the author himself?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quick Tips to Help You Survive a Zombie Outbreak
by Jim Beck

At some point while I was writing Patient Zero, I asked myself whether or not I would survive a zombie outbreak if one were to occur in my neighborhood. And, if I'm being honest with myself, that answer is, unfortunately no. Yes, I know how to fire a gun. Yes, I can aim for the head with pretty darn good accuracy. Yes, I'm in good shape. And yes, I'd like to think that if it came down to it, I would be able to put loved ones out of their misery. But I'm simply not prepared.

So what would it take to make me more likely to survive a zombie outbreak? These are my thoughts...

Guns, Guns, Guns

Knives and bats and metal rods just won't cut it. The more guns you have, the better. Shotguns are excellent, as they spread out and are more likely to hit the head if your aim is a little off. But don't discount handguns, especially for close combat. You may also opt for military grade weapons, such as assault rifles, grenades, and whatnot, but those may be hard to come by. Also, make sure that everyone in your household is trained in the proper use of every piece of machinery.

Stock Up

I'm going to steal something here. Not sure where I read it or heard it, but when a zombie outbreak occurs, the first thing you should do is fill up your bathtub with water. Chances are, if the world goes to hell, water will be hard to come by, and you'll have gallons of water sitting there for your use. You'll also want to stock up on canned and boxed foods, flashlights, batteries, first
aid kits, and anything else that comes in a run-of-the-mill emergency preparedness kit.

Two Story House

If it all possible, buy or rent a two story house. When the outbreak occurs, immediately take your family and all of your supplies to the second floor, then somehow destroy your stairs. Zombies are feeble creatures, slow and plodding. They already have trouble climbing stairs, so they definitely won't be able to make it to the second story without any stairs to help them. Just be prepared to stay up there until help comes.

Hope and Pray for Slow Zombies

I don't have anything against fast zombies. Regardless of what some people will have you believe, Romero's zombies weren't always that slow. In a real life zombie outbreak, though, you better hope and pray that they're the lumbering, plodding kind. Slow zombies are scary because of their sheer numbers, but we have a chance to fight them off. If they are fast zombies, it's almost certain -- barring quite a bit of nuking -- that we will lose. I can't remember who said it -- I think it was just a random message board poster -- no matter how fast you are, no matter what shape you're in -- EVERYONE who plays tag eventually gets made "it." Truer words have never been
spoken.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You can find out more about Jim and his book Patient Zero on his Website or Author Page.

4 comments:

Giselle said...

TEAM ZOMBIEEEEE! I love this post and I'm super in the zombie mood since we're having zombie month! :D I would def. die in an outbreak though! Bahaha

Giselle
Xpresso Reads

Wendy Darling said...

Hah hah, I think I need Jim Beck on my side if the zombpocalypse comes. :D Great post!

***

Australian YA author Rebecca Lim shares her favorite romantic book scene at The Midnight Garden!

Tim Norris said...

guns - check, two story house - check, cardio - check. Filling both bathtubs now. Need some canned goods.

BookStacksOnDeck said...

I LOOOOOVED this book! Freaking awesome guest post ♥!