Thursday, August 11, 2011

Review: Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

Synopsis:
Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.

By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire student on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.

As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.

Review:
I have to admit that I wasn't too impressed with this book at the beginning. It took about 50 pages for me to get into it, but after that I couldn't put it down.

The story is about Sophie and start off with how she lands at Hecate Hall, or Hex Hall as it is known to the kids that go there. She has her first encounter with Archer Cross, the hottie in the story, as soon as she gets to the school. I always looked forward to reading the verbal interactions between their two characters because it was just plain fun to read.

The writing style is really different and cool. The story is narrated by Sophie. Her inner monologue is very funny and addicting to read. Plus, it leads to some pretty hilarious exchanges with some of the other characters in the book. She is a seriously loveable character, very easy to relate to.

Now I'm hooked and have to find time for Book two, Demonglass.

Sidenote: I can't believe this hasn't been made into a movie or tv show. I think it would translate perfectly to either of those forms of media.

Publication Date: March 2, 2010
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal, Romance
Source: Good old-fashioned public library system

2 comments:

Jessi E. said...

I've always wanted to read this! Glad to hear that you liked it so much... Can't wait to see what that Archer is like!!

Rockee said...

Hi, Jackie. Nice blog you have here. I've read the first two books of the Hex Hall Series; and I must say, I liked Demonglass better. Unlike the first one, the story in Demonglass is much more fast-paced. It's so much more interesting and swoon-worthy. I can't wait to read Spellbound!

By the way, I'm a new follower. Come check out my review of Hex Hall #1 when you have time: http://rockeemusikreads.blogspot.com/2011/08/hex-hall-hex-hall-1-by-rachel-hawkins.html