Friday, January 27, 2012

Author Interview: James Fryar (Patrick Patterson and the World of Others)

I'm so glad to have the Author of Patrick Patterson and the World of Others on my blog today! James Fryar has created an imaginative world within his book that captures your attention. You can see my review here. I was excited to hear the answers to a few questions that had formed in my head while reading. Thanks for humoring me, James!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



My Tower of Books
:
First of all, I loved your book. I know this is kind of standard as far as questions go, but how did the idea for Patrick Patterson and the World of Others pop into your head?


James: First, let me say that I'm very happy that you enjoyed it!

It's hard to say how the idea initially popped into my head; I don't know that I can remember a specific time or place that I first thought of it. All I know is that for as long as I can remember, I've had a particular scene in my head. I won't reveal anything, but it's the scene where Patrick is attacked at school. I was just intrigued by the implications of what it could mean. Something that simple--Patrick Patterson is attacked by a mysterious person--becomes a host of interesting questions. Why is Patrick being attacked? Who is the mysterious attacker? Where are they all from? And it goes on and on. From there, I built out in either direction and very soon, I realized that I had more than one book.

My Tower of Books: What inspired the science fiction aspects of book?

James:Well, I've always been intrigued by space. I'm no science expert, but I've always had very deep feelings of awe when reading about the breadth of space. There's a sense of something mythical when you just sit and stare at the night sky. It's literally breathtaking. You suddenly feel very small. I wanted to communicate that feeling in my book.

MToB: Some of the characters in this book seem to me that they could possibly be based off of personalities that you have encountered in real life. Am I right? and is it fun to translate them from life to the pages of your book?

James: Truth be told, there were only two characters (I won't say which two) that were based on specific, real people. That was fun to do. All the other characters
were, I'm sure, shades of real people I've encountered. It's impossible for my
subconscious to not filter through my writing.

MToB: I'm fully expecting many more books in this series and more adventures for Patrick. How is the next book coming along

James: It's coming along very well, Thank You! This story will be a trilogy. Perhaps there will be room for other adventures in the future, but this particular story arc is planned for three books. As I previously said, I quickly realized that I was really writing more than one book. This is so true. Before I'd even finished The World of Others, I was already working on the second and third book. It's very gratifying to have a perfectly clear picture of where you're going and I'm excited to have others eventually read it!

MToB: I ask a lot of people this next question out of curiousity. Do you have a favorite place to write or do you just fit it in whenever you can?

James: Typically, I enjoy writing in coffee shops or bookstores, but I can really work just about anywhere if I have the right music in my ears. It's really the music that affects me more than the location. 9 times out of 10 I'll be listening to a band called Sigur Ros while I write. They're an incredible band from Iceland, unlike anything else I've ever heard. Very ethereal music; it just takes you to another world. Check 'em out if you haven't heard of them!

MToB: When you aren't writing what are some things you enjoy spending your time on?

James: It sounds cliche, being a writer, but I love to read. Anything that intrigues me--nonfiction, thrillers, YA, grand fantasy--I'll check out. As long as it's well-written, I'll read it. I'm a big cinephile, too. I love movies. My film tastes are very eclectic, just like my book choices: Gone With The Wind, The Godfather, Avatar. As long as it's a well-told story, I'm on board. I'm a big foodie as well and love to try new and unusual foods and restaurants. And my wife and I travel as much as we can. My goal is to see the entire world before I die. There's a big world out there and I aim to see it all.

It's all about stories with me, whether you tell it through books, film, food, or youcreate your own with the life you lead. Saint Augustine said something like, "The world is like a book and those that don't travel, read only one page."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To connect with James check him out on Twitter.

You can find out more about Patrick Patterson and the World of Others on Amazon or B&N.

No comments: