Monday, January 23, 2012

Late to the Party Review: Wither by Lauren DeStefano

Synopsis:
Obviously, something went terribly wrong. Genetic mutations have festered, reducing human longevity to twenty-five, even less for most women. To prevent extinction, young girls are kidnapped, mated in polygamous marriages with men eager to procreate. Sixteen-year-old Rhine Ellery, a recent victim of this breeding farm mentality, has vowed to break loose from its fetters; but finding allies and a safe way out is a challenge she can only hope she will survive.


Review:
I loved this! Loved. It. I know pretty much everybody has already read this one, and now I'm a part of that club. I've had it on my list for awhile and finally got tired of waiting to get to it. I finished it in less than 4 hours...I literally could not put it down. After I was done it felt like I was having to acclimate back into the real world because I had been so immersed in this novel.


This is the best example of a utopian society gone horribly, scarily wrong. It's all totally believable and heartbreaking. I can't think of one thing I didn't like about the book. Rhine is awesome. I love how she makes her decision and sticks with it, despite how difficult it will be. Lots of great characters in this one.


If you also have this on your list, but haven't found the time yet...make the time. You won't regret it. Plus, Fever comes out in February and you need to be ready ;-)

Publication Date: March 22, 2011
Genre: Dystopian, Young Adult
Source: My own tower of books

4 comments:

Giselle said...

Great review I'm reading this in a few weeks so I'm curious to see how I like it.

Giselle
Xpresso Reads

Kristen said...

Awesome review! I haven't heard of this book, maybe I live under a rock... but I definitely want to order it. It sounds so good, and definitely something that I'd read!

Jessi E. said...

Glad you loved it! I hope you like Fever, too! Because I want to like it!!! :)

Unknown said...

I just started this today but didn't get past the 2nd page before being interrupted by the little ones. Can't wait to get some reading time tonight! Sounds very interesting! I'm sure I will love it. :)