Wednesday, January 4, 2012

'Late to the Party' Review: Divergent by Veronica Roth

Synopsis:
In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself. During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves… or it might destroy her.


Review:
Wowzas. This book is utterly amazing and brilliant. I voraciously read it and am looking around for seconds. I'm sad that I'm not still reading about Tris and Four. The initiation is over and a whole crud-load of stuff has gone down. Now I want to see what happens next.

Tris is a bad-ass. I want to be her. As I was reading, she made me feel powerful and strong. I was cheering for her and mentally pumping my fist at her achievements and choices. Her voice is so strong and true throughout the whole book. She made me want to stand up for who I love and what I believe in. This book gave me chills. So great!

Then there's Four. Oh, man. He is so strong and tough, yet not afraid to be caring. The way he is with Tris is true perfection. He pushes her to be her best, even when it's uncomfortable and not what she wants to hear. There were quite a few moments with them that I had to read a few times before moving forward :)

I know I should have read this book ages ago, but better late than never. Can't wait to read the next one!!

Publication Date: May 3, 2011
Genre: Young Adult, Dystopian
Source: This was a borrowed book.

6 comments:

Kristan said...

This book is amazing! Not only do you fall in love with Four, but Tris is just as awesome. I love when I can connect to a main character. So happy you love this book too! Now we have to wait for Insurgent.

Kristan @ Lost Amongst the Shelves

Giselle said...

Eeek this was so much fun I'm gad you liked it!!

Giselle
Xpresso Reads

Unknown said...

Ok, now that I've read your review and you texted me that I need to read it, I will do my best to find a copy of it to read! Sounds awesome!!!

Wendy Darling said...

I really enjoyed this one, glad you did too! Also, LOVE the blog design and LOVE the title of this "Late to the Party" review series.

Angel said...

I can't wait for Insurgent. I also waited a little while to read this and I kicked myself for it. I won't be waiting at all on the next one.

Portugal said...

I tolerated this only because I somewhat liked how she managed to fight back against her bullies - so she does have a spine, and she doesn't whine about it. Oh and let's not GO THERE where she becomes a female version of Rambo and suddenly becomes the Girl of Steel. This could become a B movie any time now.