Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Review: Ambasadora by Heidi Ruby Miller

Synopsis:
If everyone told you love wasn't real, would you still be willing to die for it?

Citizens of a six-moon system in our arm of the Milky Way don't remember Earth, only the History of a generational worldship culture. In their multi-partner society a caste system rules tradition, but the governing body of the Embassy rules everything else. Obsessed with celebrity, beauty, and power, relationships and conceptions are based more on DNA than emotional ties...or should be.

What the citizenry can't escape are the human feelings of love and jealousy that turn the sterile to honorable suicide, force a couple to make the ultimate sacrifice, and allow rebels to spin their world into a violent revolution.

Ambasadora Sara Mendoza becomes the unwilling face of this revolution. Captured, tortured, and given a second chance at freedom, she proves that sacrifice for the man she loves is more honorable than sacrifice to a society's antiquated mores.

Review:
The setting in Ambasadora is so unique and interesting. It grabbed my attention from the start of the book. I like when an author puts a new spin on a genre. There were alot of little details that added up to create a rich environment with characters that I loved.

There are a few different view points throughout the story, and they are all strong. There was never one I just wanted to 'get through' so I could read about someone else. (You know you've read books like that too. . . :-) Everyone in this book is looking for something. Whether it's love, power, change, a way to forget the past, or to find a better future. They cross paths at different points and impact each others lives. Sara is used and abused and finds her entire life philosophy questioned. When she meets the sensitive drug-using Sean, she finds the other side to her own battered coin. I love their storyline.

Rainer was someone I wanted to like, but he just couldn't actually be a nice guy. He let what people would think and how it would affect his position ruin his chance at something more real than the 'love' their society told them was right. Sara made him question the very foundations of his existence, and he faced the choice. Love or duty.

This isn't just a Sci-Fi book. It's a Sci-Fi love story. Well-written and engaging, it is one to check out.

Publication Date: May 3, 2011
Genre: Science Fiction, Romance
Source: Thanks so much to the author, Heidi Ruby Miller, for my review copy!

5 comments:

Heidi Ruby Miller said...

I am overwhelmed by your wonderful review, Jackie. My characters and my world took me six years to fully develop, and I am so glad to hear they resonated with you.

Thank you!

:) Heidi

P. S. I wanted to like Rainer, too.

Chrissy Peebles said...

What an awesome review! I really enjoyed reading about this wonderful talented author. I love stories with a unique spin and an author who works hard at world building. I'm so glad I stopped by your lovely blog. I joined as well.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the spectacular review! Heidi Ruby Miller a talented writer (author) who wrote her dream come true. Can't wait for next genre. No doubt will also be number 1. Thank you, DonnaMarie McGeary

Heidi Ruby Miller said...

Thanks, Donna and Chrissy! You make me blush. :)

Babs Mountjoy said...

Interesting (and spoiler free!) review. I'm currently reading this story, and I agree with you about the setting 100%. I'll definitely be reading more from this universe. :)